Thursday, March 31, 2005

Greetings from Florida

Well, I'm now in Florida moving those servers that I told you about previously. This whole thing went smoother than we ever thought it would. In fact it looks like we'll be done way early. The servers are in place, configured and seem to be working. There are a few issues that we need to take care of in the morning, but other than that we're done and this was a very successful trip. We planned the extra day just in case something went wrong. Since we're not leaving till Saturday, when we're done working tomorrow we are going to hit the beaches and one of the IT guys in Melbourne is taking us sailing tomorrow afternoon. Then on Saturday we'll hit the Disney parks before we fly back on Saturday night.

You gotta love Spring break in Florida. The weather is perfect. It's sunny but not hot or humid yet (although today had a bit of humidity) . (Funny thing - as I wrote this we just has a brief thunderstorm roll through, the first since we've been here) The only problem is that everyone wants to gouge you. We tried to get a hotel in Melbourne where we're working, the problem is that with spring break, all the hotels near the beach have tripled their prices and sold out of rooms. When making my reservations, I waded through 5 pages of sold out hotels before I found one that had a room available. When we drove by it after we got out here, I immediately cancelled the reservation as it was a trashy hotel in a junky part of town. We ended up staying back in Orlando about an hour drive away. I guess I'm used to the hour commute to work in the mornings. We got a very nice Sheraton hotel by the airport in Orlando for much cheaper than the junky hotel in Melbourne by the beach.

Florida drivers are horrible. I felt uncomfortable driving here when Amanda and I were on our honeymoon, but I think they've gotten even worse. Or I guess I've gotten used the LA drivers. Florida drivers - don't signal, just change lanes even if there is no room, will pull out of a driveway right in front of you, run red lights, and drive eratically. You frequently rapidly come upon someone who is going 20 in a 45 or 50 zone - and everyone just swerves around them without looking even if there are cars in the other lane.

No comments: