Monday, November 21, 2005

Greetings From Florida

Well, I'm back in Melbourne, FL for a while. I've been here for a week now arriving last Sunday and will be here for a total of 10 days leaving this Wed the day before thanksgiving. Leave it to me to have to travel on the busiest travel day of the year. This trip was totally unexpected, as my manager called me up Thursday morning on the 10th and said "So...you want to go to Melbourne? You leave this Sunday." I guess they were very shorthanded out here and needed an extra person to work on some projects. There was one project that had a deadline to get some servers online by last Fri that I needed to work. The one part that actually sucks is the holiday this week makes it hard to collect any overtime pay. In order to get overtime pay, I have to first work 80 hours of regular time not counting holidays. So at the most, I can postpone the holiday taking an extra holiday later instead of taking it now.

I ended up going to the Florida Disney parks this weekend. I went to Animal Kingdom and Epcot on Sat and MGM on Sun. It was rainy Sunday afternoon though, so that kinda cut things short there. The Florida parks are nice, but nothing beats the Disneyland Christmas celebration. They don't have anything comparable out here.

Still haven't heard anything about the job yet. The HR rep who was working it was out of the office all last week. The hiring manager is getting anxious as he needs someone, and he sent an email last week saying he'd touch base with me today. Right now, the next pay period ends on Dec 9. My current manager does know about the possibility of my changing jobs as I wanted to warn him before he sent me to Florida. Since nothing is official though, we left it at that, and he asked if I wanted to go to FL anyway.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Overtime works different with CSLS... Don't know if that will effect you. But I bet you don't lose your 12 hours now?