Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I got the Job!

I got the computer security engineer job. :) I will be working for Northrop in the MILSATCOM Program Office at LA AFB. I am really excited, and this is a great opportunity for me to start working in the information security field which I am going to school for. Tentatively I would start on Dec 12, so that date is rapidly coming up.

My manager already knows, but I spent yesterday and today talking to my various leads and customers informing them of my new Job. I am also working on listing out all my duties so they can form a good transition plan...so far I'm at 3 1/2 pages of tasks with still more to come, and that doesn't include documenting each task.

We also had a planned power outage over Thanksgiving weekend. I hate those. This time it meant that all our systems had to be powered down. I thankfully wasn't there for the powerdown as I was on my way back from Florida, but my systems did not power up gracefully when I turned them on Monday morning. One Sun system had a bad power supply. Another Sun system had a bad I/O Board. A disk array had some sort of problem causing it to report 16 drive failures. There weren't any drive failures, there was just another problem causing it to report the drive failures. When I recovered from the drive failures, I find the data is corrupted or not there, so now I have to recover from tape. 2 days later, and I'm still recovering these systems. I hate this. I enjoy doing system implementation and system integration work, but I hate doing routing system administration and especially recovery after failures. I guess in simplistic terms, I like building complex systems, but not maintaining them. Thankfully my new job will put me out of this maintenance and recovery business.

2 comments:

Jen said...

congratulations!!!

Jen said...

how is your first morning at the new job going?